Sunday September 27th at CMH beginning at 9:00 AM
Montessori School Shares Passion for Nature during Great Outdoor Weekend
CMH School is excited to participate in the 2015 Great Outdoor Weekend (G.O.W.) for the fifth consecutive year. The weekend of September 26th and 27th, is expected to draw 10,000 people to take part in one or more of the free outdoor events coordinated by dozens of organizations across greater Cincinnati, northern Kentucky, and eastern Indiana. The G.O.W. strives to promote outdoor activities that are accessible, engaging, educational and open to the public.
Veronica Brannen, school naturalist, is again heading up the event for CMH School. "I'm thrilled to be a part of the Great Outdoor Weekend and helping to make nature accessible, fun and engaging for the whole family. We'll have several hikes, a marshmallow roast, children's story time, and water samples to examine with microscopes" states Brannen.
The programs being offered at CMH School on Sunday, September 27th include:
- Wallaby Encounter and Bearded Dragon chat - Pet an adorable Australian wallaby and learn about a reptile called a bearded dragon (11:30am till 1:30pm).
- Tales from the Outback Story Time - Story and craft about the Australia’s native animals for toddlers (1:30 pm).
- Paint your own T-Shirt - Shirt painting using natural objects such as leaves, twigs, and flowers to create a colorful shirt using fabric paint. Participants supply shirts (9:30am till 2:30pm).
- Touch Station & Native Animal Encounter - Get up close and personal with native amphibians, reptiles, mollusks, and insects (9am till 3pm).
- Pond Exploration - Use microscopes and nets, collect water samples and learn about insects and protozoa found in aquatic environments (noon till 3pm).
- Hike and Scavenger Hunt - Join a naturalist to discover and identify butterflies, songbirds, reptiles, and native plants (three hikes - 9:30am, 11am and at 2pm).
- Marshmallow Roast - Families are invited to gather and socialize around a crackling campfire. Vegan and regular marshmallows provided (11am till 3pm).
- Birds and Bugs Story Time - Story and craft about birds, butterflies, moths and ladybugs for toddlers (10am)
"We are thrilled to be a part of such a great community building event," says Casey Reed, school Director. "Our eight acre campus has woods, a pond, and grassy areas and really lends itself to a nature based event like this. Our school is one of only five Ohio State Certified Wild School sites in the tri-county area. Our school helps develop students with high nature I.Q.'s and we look forward to having our students share their outdoor knowledge with Loveland residents and with people from the greater Cincinnati area."
CMH School has events that are open to the public happening throughout the day on Sunday, September 27 beginning at 9:00 a.m. CMH School is located just east of downtown Loveland, at 927 O'Bannonville Road. More information on the school activities can be found on the CMH Facebook page.
In addition to CMH School, Loveland has several other local organizations that are participating the G.O.W., including Granny's Garden School, the Izaak Walton League, and Little Miami Inc. For more information about the Great Outdoor Weekend visit: www.cincygreatoutdoorweekend.org.
Or read more about the G.O.W. events at CMH on Sunday, September 27th at Cincinnati.com.